A bulging disc in the neck occurs due to weakening of the spinal disc cripples and approaches the spinal cord. The people suffering from a bulging disc in neck experience pain in their neck, shoulders, arms and even the back. An intense neck injury is the major cause of a bulging disc in the neck. We will discuss the major reasons of this deformity in the human body and how to prevent it.
Causes of a bulging disc in the neck
The spine is made up of multiple bones that are interconnected to each other. The vertebrae protect the soft tissues, nerves that are located in the spine and the spinal cord as well. To maintain flexibility each vertebra is separated by a connective disc. This disc is formed by several strong elastic tissues.
Due to body movement, the spinal disc changes its position supporting the posture you are in. It also helps reduce friction between the bones. Each disc has a soft interior and a hard exterior which enables the disc to maintain its structure.
It is possible for the spinal discs to evict from their original position. Even though it is more common in the lower area of the spine, it can also occur in the upper portion of the spine causing a bulging disc in the neck. In more acute cases it is known as a deformity called the herniated disc.
The bulging disc in neck herniated disc is the same. People use terminologies according to their knowledge and awareness.
Despite having short terms effects like accidents or fractures can immediately damage the spine causing a bulging disc in the neck. It can also occur due to long term symptoms like being overweight and having an improper posture.
Possible causes include:
• Improper Posture
• Being motionless & lazy
• Being overweight for a long time and not doing anything about it
• Weakened bones due to age
• Incorrect posture during weight lifting and exercising
• Being diagnosed with an intervertebral disc disease
• Accidents causing fractures and dislocation
Risk with time
Since the bones weaken with time hence the human body becomes more defenseless towards injuries. In simpler terms, it means that due to ageing over time, the risk of developing a bulging disc in the neck. This is dependent upon which layer of the disc starts to deteriorate first.
If the inner part of the disc or the “Nucleus Pulposus” starts to crumble first, then there may be no such issue with the disc.
The disintegration of the exterior of the disc the “Annulus Fibrosis” first can lead to nucleus pulposus escape in the canal.
Symptoms of a bulging disc in the neck
It is frequent for a bulging disc in the neck occurs without any symptoms. But with time if you develop these symptoms with time, consider going to the physician or your medical consultant.
• Pain when you perform the movement
• Constant pain in neck shoulders and back
• Range of motion reduced gradually
• A weight pressed upon the spine
• Numbness and tingling sensations in the affected area and arms
• Sharp excruciating pain observed in the affected area upon movement
Exercises and Routines to improve the Condition
Even though medial help and therapy are what you should seek as soon as you realize your condition regarding bulging disc in the neck. Your doctor will prescribe you certain stretches and exercise movements to strengthen neck muscles.
A generic mix of exercises to reduce the severity of the condition includes a blend of muscle strengthening and gentle stretching routines.
Performing stretching exercises focused on the neck can help aid the pain and comfort the affected area.
Performing a routine focused on muscle strength can help rebuild the strength of muscles and it is an evergreen method of easing the pressure applied on the neck.
Consult your physicist before performing any hardcore strength workouts as he will design routines focused on curing bulging disc in the neck.
• Include any form of physical therapy focused on the neck and spine.
• Maintain your proper posture keeping the spine straight almost every time.
• Consider reducing weight as it will help a lot in aiding the pain and strengthening muscle groups.
• Taking pain relief medications can be beneficial for short term fix. Make sure that you do not take any medicine without a proper prescription. The medication that is normally suggested by your pharmacist will be an analgesic or an anti-inflammatory.
• In case of a more acute condition, injections including steroids will be injected to cure bulging disc in the neck.
• Rest your muscles and apply icepack relieve from the pain.
The most severe scenario of a bulging disc in the neck will involve the patient go through a cervical spinal surgery. This surgery involves partial or all of the affected discs and replacing it with a cervical plate or a screen just to maintain the stability of the spine.
Instead of sitting home and assuming, visiting the doctor is the best way to confirm your condition. For the condition of a bulging disc in the neck, the doctor will perform the following procedures to ensure the cause of pain.
• CT Scan
• MRI Scan
• EMG Scan
Medical Departments to Seek Treatment from
Several orthopedic treatments are available for a bulging disc in the neck. The list is very vast. It includes endoscopy, cervical disc replacement and much more.
Doctors will conduct neurological tests to examine the functionality of the nervous system, sensory ability, ability to walk, reflexes and much more.
Chiropractic will examine the spine and prescribe techniques and adjustments based on the spinal condition to propose a permanent treatment for bulging disc in the neck.
Health is Wealth
Taking care of your health and preventing the risk of the disease should be the main priority of any individual. But in case you are past that stage, it is advised that you visit your doctor and get a cure for this bulging disc in the neck.