Many people experience fear of having any kind of surgical procedure, whether it is major or minor. Yes, you heard it right that people fear even minor surgeries like adult circumcision surgery. The surgeon’s main reason for this fear is that they don’t have the information and knowledge about the procedure. Or if they know anything, then it is false or myths. This negatively affects the decision-making about the surgery.
Basic Information About Adult Circumcision Surgery to Have
So, it has been advised by medical experts to get informed about the surgical procedure men will undergo. This is the most basic information about circumcision surgery, including reasons for having the surgery, tools, techniques, precautions before and after, what could complicate the surgery, and risks involved. Also, a point to note here is that you should only consult a doctor or surgeon to gain the information.
Why Circumcision Surgery is Done
Mainly, men have three reasons for the surgical procedure: the oldest. The other two have medical and modern reasons.
- The first and the most ancient reason for having circumcision is that men in religions like Judaism and Islam should be circumcised. Also, in different African tribes, this tradition was present. Circumcision was a ritual to depict the boys have entered manhood.
- As medical science developed, many health benefits were discovered that would be discussed further in the article.
- The third reason men used to have surgery is that they wanted their penis to look attractive. They don’t have any interest in the medical benefits.
Steps of the Surgical Procedure
The patients should also know the steps of the circumcision surgical procedure because many men prefer to have their surgery under general anesthesia. The patient is completely unconscious and knows nothing. The surgeon will inform the patient of each step of the surgery.
- A good medical history is taken.
- The surgeon will mark the length of the foreskin to be removed.
- The penis and surrounding body parts are cleaned with an antiseptic solution.
- The patient is sedated, and the surgeon will use different tools and techniques to remove the unwanted skin.
What Tools and Techniques are Used?
When patients visit medical facilities like Circumcision Center, the surgeon and other medical staff provide you with various techniques, including a dorsal slit, sleeve technique, Shield and clamp, and excision. The types of tools that these medical facilities use are Mogen clamp, Plstibell, Gomco clamp, Zhenxi ring, Tara Clamp, SmartKlamp, Shang ring, and Prepex. Many of these tools are less painful, and minimum blood is lost.
Precautions to Take Before Circumcision Surgery for Adults
The patients need to know what precautions to take before surgery.
- Prohibit yourself from smoking and drinking at least four weeks before the surgery.
- Patients should not take blood-thinning medication two days before the procedure.
- You should eat and drink nothing at least six hours before the surgery.
- Take a bath in the morning and make sure the pubic area is clean.
Health Benefits Patients Gain
Circumcision surgery has many medical advantages that benefit the patient and the partners. It reduces the risk of developing sexually transmitted infections and diseases (STIs and STDs), urinary tract infections (UTIs), and penile cancer and solves penile issues including Phimosis, Paraphimosis, Posthitis, Balanoposthitis, and injuries to the penis.
Risks Occuring After Surgery
The best adult circumcision surgeons make you aware of the risks and complications after the surgery. But you don’t have to worry because these risks are a part of every surgery.
- A little bleeding is normal during the procedure because the foreskin of the penis is cut. This bleeding will go away after a few hours, or it might take a day to stop.
- Infection might develop around the incision of the circumcision wound.
- Patients might experience anesthetic reactions like waking up, nausea, allergic reactions, and vomiting.
- The pain of the surgery goes away two to three days afterward.
Care Taken Afterward
Although the surgeon’s instructions for taking care after the surgery are simple, they are the most important. These instructions will ensure that your incision wounds heal in the right way. The instructions that surgeons will give on taking care after the surgery include avoiding strenuous physical activities, not drinking alcohol and smoking, wearing fitted underwear, avoiding soap and not wetting the penis, only using recommended medications, and eating healthy.
Factors Complicating Circumcision Surgery
As mentioned above, risks and complications can occur during and after surgery. Factors like age, weight, some chronic illnesses, and not taking care of the patient might complicate the surgical procedure. The surgeon will consider these points as they will affect the surgical procedure and healing stages.
The points mentioned above are the most common but important information about adult circumcision surgery that patients should know before undergoing the procedure.