What is the role of kidneys in the human body?
The human body runs with the proper functioning of its internal organs, each organ has its duties to fulfill, and some even excel at multitasking. One of the major internal organs is the kidneys, as they handle a string of duties and help maintain the whole equilibrium of the human body. When kidneys function correctly, then the body can acquire:
- Normal blood pressure levels: The kidneys handle the management of blood pressure levels. They adjust these levels as per the body’s requirement. If kidneys experience obstructions in functioning, the affected person can become a victim of hypertension or high blood pressure.
- Toxic-free circulation system: Blood filtration is one of the primary functions that kidneys perform for the betterment of the human body. They are the only system that handles the filtering and disposing of unwanted substances. The process of blood filtration follows the order- Filter-Reabsorb-Eliminate. When blood passes through the kidneys in order to be filtered, then the tiny blood vessels known as glomeruli filter the blood and do not let essential substances flow out of their filters. These filtering blood vessels are a part of filtering units of the kidneys. The tubules are responsible for reabsorbing the essential substances back into the bloodstream, and these tiny reabsorbing tubes maintain the balance of the blood. However, the byproducts are transferred into the bladder in order to be excreted out of the body- This is how kidneys perform their principal function of blood filtration. However, any hindrance caused by a foreign disease, medical condition or infection can take a toll on how kidneys perform.
- Production of red blood cells: Red blood cells are the medium for transferring oxygen from the lungs to the rest organs of the body. They play a crucial role in the process of breathing. Lack of red blood cells can hamper health. Kidneys handle the p[rodiction of red blood cells in the body. They form a hormone called erythropoietin, or EPO, to get the bone marrow to produce sufficient red blood cells for the body. If kidneys are damaged, it can interfere with the production of red blood cells as kidneys do not make sufficient EPO. As a result, the bone marrow stops forming red blood cells, causing issues such as anaemia.
- Electrolytes balance: The kidneys balance the basic levels of electrolytes by the process of blood filtration. If kidneys are damaged, then excess electrolytes can build up in the blood.
The kidneys perform the duties that are mentioned above, but hindrances caused by any foreign medical condition or diseases can intrude with their functioning order. One of the severe kidney diseases is chronic kidney disease.
What is chronic kidney disease?
Chronic kidney disease is a severe renal disorder that can harm the kidneys to such an extent that the bean-shaped organs entirely lose their function—another medical term for chronic kidney disease in CKD. The objective of this kidney disease is to gradually provide irreparable damage to the functional units of the kidneys leading towards complete malfunction. Chronic kidney disease creeps inside the kidneys by continuously damaging their functioning. It is dreadful kidney disease and accounts for most cases of kidney failure.
Chronic kidney disease serves as a vicious disease that enters the kidneys’ system to make them utterly useless for the body. The affected kidney collapses when chronic kidney disease reaches its extreme stage, end-stage renal disease or kidney failure.
What symptoms signify chronic kidney disease?
The progression of the signs and symptoms linked with chronic kidney disease relies on the damage procured by the kidneys. Chronic kidney disease is not identified in its initial stages because its symptoms do not develop until the kidneys enter the massive impairment phase. They develop over time, due to which a person can live with the disease unknowingly.
However, these are the signs and symptoms of chronic kidney disease:
- Loss of appetite or losing the sense of hunger.
- Fatigue or excessive drowsiness.
- Insomnia or sleep problems.
- Muscle twitches and cramps.
- Swelling in the feet and ankles.
- Changes in the urine output.
- Decreased mental alertness (Confusion or not being able to pay attention).
- Chest pain, if fluid accumulates surrounding the border of the heart.
- Asthma-like conditions (shortness of breath) if fluids accumulate within the lungs.
- High blood pressure or hypertension.
Ayurveda treatment for ckd kidney disease in India helps reduce the severity of symptoms and manages them naturally using herb-based medications.
What are the causes responsible for chronic kidney disease?
Some medical conditions and diseases are the building blocks of chronic kidney disease as they comprise properties that can take a toll on the functioning of kidneys. When kidneys lose their function over time, some diseases are involved in triggering the progression of kidney damage.
Underlying medical conditions and diseases cause the severe episode of chronic kidney disease:
- Diabetes: Diabetes is the primary reason the kidneys become impaired as high blood sugar p[rovides damage to the blood vessels, which filters the blood. Diabetes can influence the rate of kidney function.
- Glomerulonephritis: It is a condition that causes scarring of the tiny filters of the kidneys- Glomeruli. They are the cluster of tiny blood filtering vessels, and scarred glomeruli can not filter the blood properly.
- Interstitial Nephritis: Tubules are stated as one of the filtering parts of the kidneys. They are tiny reabsorbing tubes, and their function is to absorb essential substances and restore them to the circulation system of the body. Damage in the tubules can cause them to function abruptly, which is not beneficial for the body. Nephritis can cause inflammation of the tubules along with the surrounding structures of the kidneys.
- High blood pressure is another reason after diabetes that accounts for the maximum cases of kidney damage. High blood sugar levels can affect the blood vessels and weaken the arteries surrounding the kidneys.
- Polycystic kidney disease: Polycystic kidney disease causes cysts within the kidney. It is an inherited kidney disorder and leads the kidneys towards chronic kidney disease. Renal enlargement and impairment are the primary outcomes of polycystic kidney disease.
- Vesicoureteral reflux: This condition causes the urine to back up into the kidneys.
- Kidney infection such as pyelonephritis.
What alarming factors can increase the risk of chronic kidney disease?
Certain risk factors can increase your chances of being a CKD patient because they harm the kidneys and tend to trigger damage in the kidneys.
These are the risk factors of chronic kidney disease:
- High blood pressure.
- Cardiovascular disease.
- Having a family history of kidney disease.
- Abnormal structure of the kidney.
- Elderly age.
What complications are caused by chronic kidney disease?
Several complications arise when chronic kidney disease strikes the functioning territory of the kidneys. These are the complications of chronic kidney disease:
- Edema: It occurs due to fluid retention; when kidneys can not filter the blood, excess fluids can accumulate in the tissues, which can cause swelling in the affected areas.
- Hyperkalemia: Sudden increase in potassium levels obstruct the functioning of the heart.
- Cardiovascular disease.
- Malnutrition: Chronic kidney disease is severe kidney disease and can weaken the bones increasing the risk of bone fractures.
- Anaemia: Impaired kidney function can not produce the hormone, affecting the production of red blood cells in the body.
- Reduction in the sex drive can decrease fertility and cause problems like erectile dysfunction in males.
- The weak immune response can put you at the center of infections.
- Pregnancy complications.
- Kidney failure or end-stage renal disease.
Can we heal the kidney damage naturally?
If you are a victim of CKD, the best solution for your miseries is choosing the ayurvedic mode of treatment. The traditional system of Ayurveda understands the pathology of the disease and handles the progression. Ayurveda is the passage that helps treat kidney disease naturally. That is why Ayurveda treatment for CKD kidney disease in India is also known as the natural treatment of chronic kidney disease. Ayurveda is in touch with nature and believes that authenticity, efficiency and permanency are the three significant elements that are found in nature.
The Ayurveda treatment for CKD kidney disease in India relies on three factors which are described below:
- Herbal management: The use of herbal medications in the treatment increases the chances of retrieval of kidney functions Because herbs are renal friendly as they heal the damaged blood vessels in the kidneys.
- Natural healing therapies: These therapies are known for maintaining the mental and physical health of the CKD patient.
- Ayurvedic diet and way of life: Ayurveda states that a healthy diet and lifestyle can work in the betterment of mental, physical and spiritual well-being. That is why Ayurveda uses natural renal enhancers superfoods and can boost kidney function and other beneficial properties for the diet chart. Ayurveda recommends yoga for CKD as kidney-friendly yoga asanas eliminate the toxins and regulate the blood pressure, which is healthy for the body.
Some other factors that are associated with the Ayurveda treatment for CKD kidney disease in India are stated below:
- Manage your blood pressure levels.
- Control blood sugar levels.
- Follow the fundamental principles of chronic kidney disease management in Ayurveda and monitor your kidney health.
- Consume herbal medications as prescribed by the ayurvedic practitioner.
- Follow the diet chart customized by the dietician.
- Engage in yoga and other physical activities.
- Manage your body mass index and aim for your healthy weight.
- Have a healthy sleeping pattern.
- Avoid smoking as it can hamper the state of kidneys.
- Procure a healthy diet and lifestyle to enhance mental health.
The above steps are the way to procure good health and vitality for your kidneys. That is why follow these crucial steps in order to get freedom from the maliciousness of chronic kidney disease.