Though most people across the US are still spending much of their time indoors, you can still appreciate and enjoy the fresh flavors of the spring season by taking advantage of healthy at-home recipes! And some of the best, (plus easiest and most convenient), options include nutritious and delicious smoothie recipes.
Why healthy smoothies? They’re quick, help you meet your daily recommended intake for important nutrients, and make it easy to eat a variety of flavorful fresh fruits and veggies. They’re also extremely refreshing and appetizing, especially with warmer weather on the way! In addition, when you add the right elements into these smoothies – like the best protein and fiber-packed meal replacement shakes – you get all the elements of healthy, well-balanced meals to enjoy any time of day.
Want some super-delicious, healthy spring smoothie recipes?! We’ll share 5 of our favorites, below! In each of them, add in a scoop of your favorite meal replacement shake protein powder for an extra dose of rich flavor, energizing and satisfying protein, and additional health-promoting nutrients!
Featured Spring Produce #1: Beets
Craving chocolate and other sweets but aiming to keep your diet as clean as possible? This healthy smoothie recipe features an interesting mix of ingredients to tempt your taste buds and support radiant health, including juicy red beets, Greek yogurt, cacao powder, honey, cinnamon, cashew butter, and frozen cauliflower rice.
Beets are a great source of potassium and magnesium, support good blood circulation, and are also packed with antioxidants! Plus, they add a naturally-sweet touch to this power-packed, immune-supporting drink that tastes like a dessert!
Pro tip: Add a scoop of chocolate meal replacement shake for extra chocolaty goodness!
Chocolate Beet Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup diced cooked beets
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower rice
- 1/4-1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 heaping tablespoons cacao powder
- 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cashew butter
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (optional)
- additional add-ins: chia seeds, frozen banana, avocado
- Mix all ingredients together and blend until smooth
- Add toppings if desired
Featured Spring Produce #2: Carrots
Didn’t think you would ever add carrots into a smoothie recipe?! Think again! Carrots provide a naturally-sweet yet extremely nutritious touch to the best meal replacement shake smoothies. In this particular recipe, carrots go perfectly with the complementing sweet and spicy flavors of ginger, banana, pineapple, turmeric, and lemon.
While carrots are high in vitamin A, the other ingredients in this recipe are also antioxidant-rich foods that support reduced inflammation-promoting total body wellness and a strong immune system.
Pro tip: Add a scoop of vanilla meal replacement shake for an even richer and creamier taste!
Carrot Ginger Turmeric Smoothie Recipe:
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric (or cinnamon)
- 1/2 cup carrot juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice. ( ½ Lemon produces 1 Tbsp)
- 1 cup frozen or fresh pineapple
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh peeled ginger
- 2 cups carrots
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Make carrot juice by mixing carrots and water blender. Blend until completely pureed and smooth. Add water to ease the blending process.
- Pour carrot juice into a bowl, filtering it through a cheesecloth. Squeeze remaining juice out of cheesecloth and carrot pulp.
- Add remaining smoothie ingredients, including carrot juice, into the blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Taste and adjust flavors as needed. Add banana or pineapple for sweetness.
Featured Spring Produce #3: Strawberries
Next, this smoothie recipe is both incredibly tasty and incredibly filling – with sweet, juicy strawberries, almond butter, honey, plain Greek yogurt, vanilla extract, and unsweetened almond milk. Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C, (even more so than oranges), making this a wellness-supporting drink that the entire family will love.
Pro tip: Add a scoop of vanilla or strawberry meal replacement shake for added flavor, texture, and nutrients!
Recipe: Healthy Strawberry Smoothie
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole frozen strawberries
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Mix all ingredients together
- Blend until smooth. Add Ice to preference.
Featured Spring Produce #4: Spinach
Get in your daily iron-packed, superfood greens with this recipe featuring spring veggie, spinach — and offering exceptional berry taste. The best part about adding spinach into smoothies is that while it adds a rich and creamy texture, you don’t even taste it! Instead, the other highly-appetizing ingredients in this recipe take over, including frozen blueberries and strawberries, banana, plain Greek yogurt, dairy or nut milk, honey, and your choice of meal replacement shake powder.
Spinach is a great source of vitamin K, A, and C, along with mineral’s magnesium and iron – making it a power-packed addition to this delicious blueberry smoothie that’s perfect for a bright, spring day!
Pro tip: As your protein powder of choice in this recipe, add a scoop of vanilla or chocolate shake for the real dessert-like taste!
Blueberry Spinach Smoothie Recipe:
- 1 scoop protein powder
- 2/3 cup blueberries
- 2 large strawberries
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 banana
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Mix all ingredients together and blend until smooth
- Add more milk and ice if needed to reach desired consistency and taste for sweetness
Featured Spring Produce #5: Grapefruit
While this may be one of the simplest smoothie recipes you ever make, it can pack a powerful punch for your immune system health, and also help you feel energized and alive. The key ingredient is grapefruit, (which has been peeled, de-seeded, and cut up). This tart yet sweet fruit is full of vitamin C, to help support a strong immune system and fend off sickness.
The recipe also contains a medium banana, for a boost of potassium and other health-promoting nutrients, and vanilla Greek yogurt. To make this recipe even healthier, opt for plain Greek yogurt and add in some vanilla extract instead!
Pro tip: Add in a scoop of vanilla or strawberry meal replacement shake to make this tropical recipe even more satisfying and appealing!
Grapefruit Banana Smoothie Recipe:
This Grapefruit Banana Smoothie is a great way to boost your morning! Get a healthy dose of vitamin C in a filling breakfast you can take on the go.
- 1/2 pink grapefruit
- 1 medium banana
- 3 Tbsp. vanilla Greek yogurt
- Add ingredients into the blender and blend for 30-60 seconds.
- Add ice for a thicker smoothie.