Change in the season is always a topic of worry and it is bothersome for some people.In winter the immune system is weak.The reasons for this is due to low immunity, low humidity and inactivity of the body. According to ayurveda, winter is the season in which there’s an essential immunity boost. As per ayurveda optimum health can be balanced by balancing doshas according to natural cycles and seasonal diet. So in this article, we will discuss some amazing tips to keep our health good and disease-free.
- Includes bajra/millets- These are pseudo grains and are highly nutritious, rich in fat, protein, fibre and contain high amounts of phosphorus. Regular consumption in winters helps to keep the body warm, makes bones strong, keeps laziness away.
- Add dark green leafy vegetables – They are low in calories and high in nutrient content. Easily available in the winter season when other vegetables are rare. They are rich in vitamin A,C,K and minerals when consumed to enhance bone health, improve skin and hair health which easily become rough in winters.
- Consume nuts – individuals should add dates, walnuts and almonds in the diet. They help to keep the body warm, supplies nutrients and also provides a healthy nervous system.
- Intake of vitamin C– it plays an important role in boosting the immune system and treating skin problems, iti is a powerful antioxidant. Include guava, ornge, kiwi, lemon, strawberry etc into the diet.
- Zinc– it is a mineral, deficiency of this can weaken the immunity, it also helps in cell growth, repairing body tissues.
- Iron rich food– iron performs various functions and carries oxygen to produce red blood cells throughout the body. Iron rich foods are- spinach, legumes, pumpkin seeds, quinoa, broccoli, tofu etc.
- Increase protein intake– protein intake can be increased by adding fish and eggs into the diet, they are rich in protein and carbohydrate and are rich sources of vitamin B-12. They boost immunity and also help in lowering fatigue, stress and all provide physical and mental health.
- Natural herbs– Ginger, cardamom, clove, nutmeg, turmeric should be included in daily routine. They help to prevent us from viruses, also help to improve digestion, increase immunity, and soothe an upset stomach.
Always include seasonal fruits and vegetables in the diet in winters such as sweet potato, turnip, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot etc. these help to provide nutrition and boosts immunity and other health benefits which are required by the body in winters.
Maintaining lifestyle is equally important to keep body healthy in this winters
- Balanced diet – intake of balanced diet food including seasonal fruits and vegetables for proper health.
- Regular exercise– In winters people don’t feel like exercising but to keep yourself warm and healthy exercise is important 20-30 minutes exercise daily will keep body warm and proper blood circulation in the body improves joint and muscle stiffness which is common in elderly people in winters.
- Water– In winters people avoid water, this should not be done as water is the carrier of nutrients in the body and also helps to detoxify the body. Take at least 6-8 glasses of water in winters also.
- Healthy skin– In winters cracked, dry, rough skin is common to keep skin healthy individuals should consume natural and healthy fats and moisturize skin with coconut oil.
- Vitamin D– People prefer to sit indoors in blankets during winters, but we should take full advantage of natural sunshine during winters as it provides vitamin D which makes bones healthy and strong, and also regulates mood.
- Sleep – for an adult and healthy individual 6-8 hrs sleep is necessary and required. Good sleep helps to boost immunity, repair the body and mind.
Yoga is beneficial in winter because it helps to keep warm, remove lethargy from the people’s body, and make you active. Helps to balance vata and pitta doshas in winters. Yoga helps to improve metabolism, supports respiratory organs and advances clogging of the chest and throat. Some yogas which should be done on regular basis in winters are-
- Surya namaskara (Sun salutation)- it helps to build heat in the body, provides flexibility to body, mind and soul, it is an ideal solution for weight loss, healthy skin, blood circulation, improves digestion, calms the nervous system and also improves immunity.
- Matasyana (Fish pose)– It is beneficial for flexing the upper body, this helps to open the throat, chest and the abdomen. It opens the lungs and respiratory organs and promotes blood flow from toe to head. It helps to maintain body posture and gives strength to the spine.
- Dhanurasana (Bow pose)– it opens the chest, neck and shoulders as we bend which helps in proper breathing, makes the spine flexible and provides strength to back and abdominal muscles.
- Salamba sarvangasana (shoulderstand)- it helps in calming the mind, relieves stress, anxiety also improves digestion, stretches the shoulder and neck and helps in the stagnation of lymph.
- Salabhasana ( locust pose)– strengthening backbone and open chest. It also lengthens the spine and chest, promotes calmness and improves focus, and helps in maintaining good health of body and mind.
1. For Hydration
- consume lots of fluid like water, coffee, tea, milk, juices, soups
- Avoid alcohol, sugary beverages, soda, decaffeinated drink
- Set a reminder to drink water, fill at least two water bottles in the morning and finish till evening
2. For Sore Throat
- Take honey, lemon, ginger mix and consume ½ tablespoon
- Warm tea with ginger and lemon can be taken
- Gargle can be done with salt and warm water
3. For Congestion, Stuffiness
- Cool mist vaporizer can be used
- Take hot steamy shower
- Warm compress can be used on face
4. For Inflammation
- Use ginger, turmeric, garlic to food
- Use clove, cinnamon, elaichi in tea
Along with all this, to maintain healthy body and mind, we can add several healthy homemade foods in our daily life which helps to boosts our immunity, keeps us warm, improves digestion and makes us healthy some of them our- soup, warm milk, cow ghee, honey , jaggery, herbs, ginger and garlic and can follow above mentioned tips, home remedies, yoga which are equally important and necessary.
To boost immunity these winters we can add some immunity boosters, herbal teas to maintain a healthy body and mind. PLANET AYURVEDA has the perfect solution to get fit or healthy. They provide wonderful herbal remedies like Brahmi chyawanprash, Immune booster capsules, giloy capsules, arjun tea, vikamprash etc. All these formulations are effective and pure as they are a blend of natural herbs, free from any chemicals and preservatives and show amazing results when consumed on a daily basis. For more queries contact us on email@example.com.