If you are suffering from any issues related to your foot, in that case, you need to get in touch with an expert. This is where podiatrists come into the picture. They are the specialists who have the skills and expertise to treat different issues related to your feet. Have you been ignoring any such injury that you have sustained? If you have, then you are doing a great disservice to your health. Feet injury can lead to something very complicated in the days to come and could possibly result in severe after-effects. This is particularly true for those who are suffering from diabetes. Therefore, if you are one of them, in that case, the first thing which you need to do is to get in touch with podiatrists.
Can They Be Called Doctors?
Yes, podiatrists are doctors! However, they do not attend conventional medical schools. They undergo training, which imparts in them the skills of doing surgery, resetting broken bones, prescribing different types of medications, and carrying out different kinds of tests. Often, podiatrists work in association with other kinds of specialists where legs could be affected.
Why is Podiatrist Important for Diabetic Patients?
If you have diabetes, in that case, your legs are the most vulnerable areas of your body. In any minor injury, even a small cut can lead to something as serious as gangrene. Therefore, if you feel any discomfort in your leg, in that case, the first thing which you need to do is to visit a podiatrist. They have the skills and expertise to figure out the problem and prescribe the right kind of medication and treatment. Besides, if any kind of major or minor surgery is required, the professionals can take care of it.
What Are Their Areas of Specialisation?
As mentioned, podiatrists can take care of a lot of issues related to your foot. They’re as follows:
- Sprains and fractures: These are the common injuries that podiatrists treat if you reach them. Often, sprains and fractures affect our ankle or foot, which, if left unattended, can lead to permanent damage. A podiatrist can take care of it; besides, they also have the expertise to work with sports injuries.
- Hammertoe and Bunions: These are two major problems that occur with the bones in the feet. A bunion occurs when the base of the joint of the legs which are connected to the tool becomes bigger and gets out of place. This can be a very painful condition and can only be treated with proper medication and often by carrying out surgery.
- Nail disorders: Often, the nails of a foot tend to go out of shape, which could cause different kinds of complications. Podiatrists have the skills and expertise to attend to different kinds of issues related to nail disorders.
- Arthritis: Millions from all over the world are suffering from arthritis. This can be a very painful situation, where the patient can experience severe discomfort on their legs. However, consulting an expert podiatrist can prove to be quite useful. Podiatrists can aid you with different treatments related to arthritis, depending on the condition.
- Diabetes: As mentioned, those were suffering from diabetes needs to be very careful with their legs. In case of any major or minor injury on the legs, it needs to be treated immediately to avoid further complications. Podiatrists specialise in treating these kinds of cases.
If you’re looking for an expert and qualified podiatrist, in that case, these days, search through the internet or ask for recommendations. However, before opting for one, you need to ensure that they have a good reputation in the market.