Carpal tunnel syndrome has now become a common problem among people of different ages. It is a problem affecting the hand and the person with carpal tunnel syndrome suffers from pain, numbness, and general weakness in the hand, wrist, or sometimes both. Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused due to excessive pressure on the median nerve of the hand. The median nerve is present in the wrist and it allows movement and feeling to the parts of the hand. Females and older people are more likely to suffer from this condition.
Generally, carpal tunnel syndrome is caused due to various factors playing a part. Carpal tunnel syndrome eventually leads to numbness, weakness, tingling sensation, and muscle damage in the hand.
What are the signs and symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Signs and symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome are pretty evident to the patient. If a person is suffering carpal tunnel syndrome, he or she may have the following sympt0ms-
- Numbness in the hand
- Losing grip of the hand
- Tingling sensation in the fingers
- Decreased sensations in the fingers and fingertips.
- Unable to hold objects (like a cup or a pen) properly
- Problems in daily activities such as- Difficulty in grasping steering wheel to drive a car, holding a glass, book or a phone, trouble in writing, typing or using a laptop.
When should I consult a doctor for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
As the condition of carpal tunnel syndrome worsens, the person may suffer from more severe symptoms which now may occur more often. Symptoms may become more constant . Symptoms the the condition of carpal tunnel syndrome is worsening and you need to see an expert orthopedic doctor include:
- Weakness or pain in the hand.
- You are to carry out simple tasks which require delicate hand motions like buttoning your shirt or writing.
- Unable to grab objects properly due to reduced hand grip.
If the patient does not get treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome, he or she may eventually lose all senses of the hand, and then the hand is considered to ‘fall asleep’.
What is the treatment for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome if the condition is in the initial stages?
For the initial stages of carpal tunnel syndrome, the doctor will suggest you rest your hand and wear a splint at night to help relieve symptoms of pain and uneasiness. Pain, discomfort, and uneasiness due to carpal tunnel syndrome are often more at night, and it may get so bad that the person wakes up from his sleep with numbness in the hand. The doctor may also suggest non-surgical treatment options to the patient to treat carpal tunnel syndrome.
Non-surgical treatments for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome-
- Wear a splint at night.
- Avoid activities which may put pressure on the hand
- Avoid using your hand for a long time.
- Give ample rest to your hand.
- Apply ice packs if you have swelling or redness in the hand.
- The orthopedic doctor may prescribe nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like aspirin, ibuprofen, or other pain killers to provide short-term relief from the pain.
- Talking therapies such as acupuncture or chiropractic can help relieve pain and prevent the condition from worsening. Along with therapy, the patient should also rest his hand and wear a splint at night. Therapy is beneficial for patients with carpal tunnel syndrome but the relief is only temporary and not a permanent solution.
If non-surgical treatments and lifestyle changes are not much effective, surgery to release the ligament which is putting pressure on the median nerve might be the best treatment option for you. Surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome is carpal tunnel release surgery and is a permanent solution for this painful condition.
Carpal Tunnel Release Surgery
Carpal tunnel release surgery, or carpal tunnel decompression surgery involves cutting of the carpal ligament, which is connected to the bones in the wrist, and forms the carpal tunnel. During the surgery, the carpal ligament is divided, which releases the pressure on the median nerve and eases the symptoms, and also makes more room for the median nerve and tendons. This improves pain and enables proper and normal hand function without any discomfort. Carpal tunnel release surgery is the most successful and promising treatment option for carpal tunnel syndrome. Consult the best orthopedic doctor to get proper treatment of this condition.