Mental health is essential for a person to be healthy in general and keep good relations with others. One of the most common mental disorders that affects many people around the world is anxiety. A lot of people have anxiety, not all of them know how to manage it.
Anxiety occurs due to several factors including personality, life events, and even genetics. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), 1 in 13 people suffer from anxiety globally.
Signs of anxiety include:
- Feelings of panic and danger
- Rapid heartbeats
- Breath shortness
- Lack of focus
The good news is that anxiety disorders are treatable and you don’t have to always seek professional medical care, although it depends on the case. But, if you are decided to treat anxiety, you personally have a crucial role to play. Here are some simple steps you might take to begin the process of treating anxiety.
Meditation is the key. It leads to a relaxed mind and body. Start the day by sitting quietly somewhere comfortable for at least 20 -30 minutes, close your eyes, and breathe. Apply inhale and exhale techniques but don’t focus at all on the number of breaths, just breathe naturally. As a result, you will fill yourself with positive energy and free your mind from many and unnecessary things. Make sure to repeat this every day. Once you turn it into a habit, you will be less likely to experience anxiety.
2. Be active
Another way you can treat anxiety properly is to keep yourself active. Start by walking regularly every day. Studies have shown that walking can fight anxiety and be a stress reliever. In addition to walking, various exercises could contribute to anxiety alleviation. Practice different activities or sports that you enjoy. These may include hiking, tennis, volleyball, and more.
3. Sleep well
If you are among those people who are used to staying up late at night, this can be a difficult step. However, you have to change this habit as soon as possible. Lack of sleep can lead to anxiety, hence make sure you go to bed earlier each night and also wake up early in the morning. When you do this constantly, the sleep schedule will be fixed.
4. Eat well
Anxiety can also lead to many physical problems. Therefore, you must be careful when it comes to food. Make sure to remove from your diet processed foods, soft drinks, alcohol, cigarettes, caffeine, and excess sugar. In the meantime, enrich your diet with foods rich in magnesium, zinc, vitamin B, omega 3. Keep in mind that it is very important to have regular meals. So eat the above-mentioned things regularly. Below you can find a list with a few products that can help you treat anxiety.
• Eggs. Because eggs contain tryptophan, an amino acid that creates serotonin. The latter is an amino acid that helps to regulate behavior, sleep, mood, etc. Among these, serotonin is thought to help relieve anxiety.
• Green tea. Theanine is an amino acid that helps to cope with anxiety and green tea contains it. This amino acid has relaxing effects and could help with serotonin and dopamine production. You can use green tea every day and replace it with other drinks that could do harm to your body such as soft drinks or alcohol.
• Chamomile. We have often heard about the health benefits of chamomile. This includes antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and above all the relaxing properties it has. Studies have also shown that chamomile is an ingredient that can reduce anxiety.
• Cannabidiol (CBD). Cannabidiol or shortly CBD is part of the cannabis family. However, According to Greenpassion.ch CBD does not cause psychoactive effects because it is mostly obtained from hemp – a naturally grown plant. The health benefits of CBD are numerous and it has a good reputation for treating many conditions, besides this, CBD products can benefit people with different forms of anxiety.
5. Focus on change
Life comes with many unexpected things. If you are having a tough time accepting some things, you can cause yourself the stress and as a result experience more anxiety. A valuable piece of advice here is to accept things how they come and try to manage them. If you are experiencing anxiety due to a particular circumstance, try to turn your fear into strength and focus on a positive perspective.
6. Stay connected to people
Last but not least is getting involved with people. Call a friend, a loved one, take a walk, or go for lunch with them. Get involved in group activities. Never neglect the opportunities for volunteering. Volunteering helps you to have a different perception of the world and at the same time to keep your mind focused on things that society and you can benefit from.